- Do you require testing for Kindergarten and 1st Grade?
- Are any applicants given special consideration?
- Are campus tours and open houses available?
- How do I apply to ECFS and what are the requirements?
- Can we apply for admission to both Ethical Culture and Fieldston Lower?
- Does ECFS have a wait pool?
- In what grades do you accept students?
- In what colleges do ECFS seniors enroll?
- Is there a birthday cutoff date for Kindergarten applicants?
We do not require nor will we accept standardized test results for admission to Kindergarten and 1st grade. If your child is required to take standardized tests as part of their application to another school, please do not send the scores, as they will not be considered. Children applying to grades 2-4 are still required to submit ERB testing in order to complete their application.
Yes. Sibling, alumni, and faculty applications are given special consideration. ECFS prefers to keep families together; however, admission is not automatic. All applicants (regardless of prior family connection to the school) are evaluated according to the same criteria. All admission decisions consider the best interest of each individual child. It is wonderful that the number of sibling, alumni, and faculty families applying to ECFS continues to increase. While we value ECFS’s community of sibling, alumni, and faculty, we are also committed to providing access to new families whose values and goals reflect the school’s mission.
- Families applying for PreK or Kindergarten must declare a preferred division but can request to have their application considered at both divisions. Families who wish to tour both campuses before making their final choice should contact the director of admissions at either location to make arrangements.
- Families applying for grade 1-5 must apply to one division but can request to be considered at either division, should an opening become available, by checking the "yes" or "no" box on page 1 of the application.
Yes. Each year we receive applications from many more qualified candidates than we are able to admit. Children whom we would have admitted were the class size not limited are offered a place in the wait pool. Wait pool candidates are not ranked numerically. Should an opening become available, the wait pool candidates are reviewed and another round of selections is made.
Admissions entry points at the Ethical Culture Fieldston School are at the pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, sixth-grade, and ninth-grade levels. Openings in all other grades are dependent on attrition. Therefore, applications to non-entry-point grades are accepted only on an interview wait pool basis.
The interview wait pool - Applications for non-entry-point grades will be reviewed, and candidates will be selected to complete the interview process, if and when an opening is anticipated.
Yes. Our age policy requires that children applying to PreK must have passed their fourth birthday by September 1 of the year they are entering PreK. All applicants for kindergarten must have passed their fifth birthday by September 1 of the year they are entering kindergarten. First graders must be 6 years old.
Birthdate range for academic year 2017-2018:
PreK: 9/1/12 - 8/31/13
Kindergarten: 9/1/11 - 8/31/12